Re: [Nmh-workers] Wishlist: Extracting Attachments from Email.

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Wishlist: Extracting Attachments from Email.
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:22:35 -0500

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:38:20 GMT, Ralph Corderoy said:

> Optionally, the extracted file may be better compressed along the way,
> e.g. an embedded tar file becomes a reference tar.bz2 file if it's
> smaller.
>
> mhstore and a little scripting gets me the first half, it's the editing
> the email to change the embedded file into a reference that's the issue.

This *does* break horribly for digital signatures - I suspect that both
an S/MIME and a PGP signature would be invalidated by changing the embedded
file into a reference.

Also, things get interesting if you try to forward the mail along with the
attachment - I do *not* think it would DTRT with the reference (in other
words, the recipient would just get a dangling reference, not the file.

The forwarding problem is probably solvable, I suspect that the digital
signature one is *not*, unless you find a way to reconstitute the original
on a byte-per-byte basis (and making sure that for the corner case of
a PGP or S/MIME signature that actually covers a *reference*, that we
do *not* expand the reference as that will also break the signature....)