Re: [Nmh-workers] A script for threading

From: pmaydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] A script for threading
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:40:15 +0000

Joel Reicher wrote:
>Sequences *appear* to be the right sort of thing for thread display and
>navigation

I still think the fact that they're restricted to numerical ascending
order makes them useless for a serious threading implementation.

>This is especially nice for threading
>because using sequences would enable changing sibling orders by changing
>the sorting of the entire folder. No respinning needed.

Isn't that broken because it will sort an entire thread tree by
date (say) rather than by thread and then only by date within
siblings?

I think that if you want to keep the threading support out of the main
nmh utilities (scan/show/etc) you need to at least add an option to them
to respect the order of message numbers on the command line.
(But I still think that actually having the core utilities know about
threads would be better, in the same way that it's more convenient for
them to all know about syntaxes like '4-5', 'last:20', etc.)

-- PMM