Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on Ubuntu

From: Josh Bressers
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:51:46 -0400

> Joel Reicher wrote:
> >> I'm getting the error "post: can't exec no: No such file or directory" when
> >> trying to send a message with nmh.
>
> This looks suspiciously to me as if nmh has been compiled on a system
> with no sendmail binary. Configure looks for sendmail and puts the
> sendmail path it finds in as a default value. If it can't find anything
> I think it defaults to 'no'...
>
> You can test this by putting 'sendmail: xyzzy' in mts.conf
> to see if the message now says 'xyzzy'. If it does, see if saying
> 'sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail' makes the problem go away.
>
> If this is the case you should report it to Ubuntu (or debian, if it's
> not been recompiled by the ubuntu guys) as a packaging bug -- it should
> Build-Depend on something that provides /usr/bin/sendmail.

This should be fixed in CVS.  I ran into this problem quite some time ago
and fixed it (it was found by a Fedora Extras nmh user).  It's a bug in the
configure script.  If configure can't find the sendmail binary, it defaults
to "no".  Now if it can't find sendmail it defaults to something sensible,
/usr/sbin/sendmail.

--
    JB