[Nmh-workers] Re: mail threading headers

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Re: mail threading headers
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:22:32 -0700

Robert Elz <address@hidden> writes:

>     Date:        Thu, 25 May 2006 16:02:48 -0400
>     From:        Paul Fox <address@hidden>
>
>   | so -- how important is it to use In-reply-to in a new References
>   | header if there was no previous References header?
>
> Not very...

Why do you think so? Remember the "liberal in what you receive,
conservative in what you send" philosophy. Using In-Reply-To to seed
the References helps to preserve a bit of threading information from
broken mailers.

>   | the default nmh template doesn't do it.  should we care?
>
> Yes, we should care, and no, the template should not do it, or at least,
> not without lots more support in the form of new format functions.

Assuming we could a) pull the Message-Id out of an old-style
In-Reply-To, or b) punt and ignore it if it's in the old style, you'd
be for it though, right?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD