[Nmh-workers] Re: send (smtp) problems

From: Philipp Roessler
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Re: send (smtp) problems
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:42:44 +0200

Philipp Roessler <address@hidden> writes:

> I have no .netrc (why would I?).

To avoid typing the password every time...

Ah, ok, have a .netrc now.

I haven't tried SASL yet,
so can't help you there. However, send should be prompting you for a
password but does not seem to be doing so. Bug?

Not a bug, I figured out what went wrong in the first place: I had to configure with --with-cyrus-sasl to get SASL support.

> One more general question: how can I inspect (in plain text) the
> messages sent back and forth between my machine and the smtp server?

I would expect that "send -watch" would do this for you, but it
doesn't. Try the undocumented argument "-snoop" instead.

Cool, this looks interesting ... though I don't understand it. Can anyone tell from the following what goes wrong (I'm pretty sure it's not the wrong password, I don't mistype 100 times ;-) )?

$ send -snoop -verbose -server mail.gmx.net -user 1281346 -sasl -saslmech LOGIN
Use "/Users/phil/Mail/draft"? y
-- Posting for All Recipients --
<= 220 {mp036} GMX Mailservices ESMTP
=> EHLO organtin.local
<= 250-{mp036} GMX Mailservices
<= 250-8BITMIME
<= 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<= 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
<= 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
<= 250 STARTTLS
=> AUTH LOGIN
<= 334 WXRajy5hbW3
=> nGopbA==
<= 334 KNPzc3dasC6
=> B3ObjkdpZWRbhuiYwNjA2
<= 535 5.7.0 {mp036} Incorrect username or password
=> RSET
<= 250 2.0.0 {mp036} Flushed
=> QUIT
<= 221 2.0.0 {mp036} GMX Mailservices
post: problem initializing server; [BHST] 5.7.0 {mp036} Incorrect username or password
send: message not delivered to anyone

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD