Re: [Nmh-workers] New new/fn/fp/unseen program

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] New new/fn/fp/unseen program
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:36:33 +0100

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
>Joel Reicher wrote:
>> What would you want for the context change? Change to the last folder on
>> the command line, or no change at all when multiple folders are given?
>
>Personally, I find it very annoying when any command other than folder
>changes the current folder. I'd want it left as what it was before.

To some extent the nmh basic design requires it; for instance if show
didn't change the folder then things like:
  show +inbox first
  next

wouldn't work.

So I think that in general nmh commands that take a single folder
should change to that folder -- this is the easiest mental model for
the user, and better than remembering "command X changes folder and
command Y doesn't".

For things that work on multiple folders, the only thing that springs
to mind at the moment is 'folders'. So I guess a multiple-folder scan
ought to leave the current folder alone, to match that.

-- PMM