Re: [Nmh-workers] problems with slocal

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] problems with slocal
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:40:16 +0000

address@hidden wrote:
>I tried building nmh with both fcntl and flock (what Postfix uses for internal
>locking), but was not even able to inc until I went back to dot locks (what
>Postfix claims to want for external apps),

You don't need to care what Postfix uses internally for locking. What
you want to know is what it is configured to require for locking the
system mailbox. I think this is the value of its mailbox_delivery_lock
setting. [NB that it's possible that Postfix is misconfigured, but
that's pretty unlikely unless you've been fiddling with it :-)]

> and do have debian's liblockfile 1.08-3 installed

Do you also have the development package (ie the header files) installed,
and did configure say it had found liblockfile and lockfile.h?
(The configure file is checking for existence of /usr/include/lockfile.h
and that /usr/bin/dotlockfile is setgid mail.)

>I know Pete's "don't do that, use a random spool" is still an option.
>But it seems like a cop out from both what should work, and understanding
>why it doesn't...

"why it doesn't" is "slocal is busted and does not support writing to
the system mailbox where the system mailbox uses dot-locking-by-setgid-app,
except in the special case where it's using liblockfile".

The reason this bug hasn't been fixed yet, I assume, is that most of
the developers either don't use slocal or don't use it this way :-)

-- PMM