Re: [Nmh-workers] imap support, and portability

From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] imap support, and portability
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:25:50 -0600

>  ARE you working on IMAP for nmh?  If so, how far are
> you along?

I twisted up a crude proof-of-concept implementation about 10 years
ago.  I did it solely to get an idea of how much work it would be to
do a full-on implementation.  This was against MH 6.3, and done while
I was considering giving 6.3 a complete overhaul to ANSIfy the code
and clean out all the cruft.  It was doable, but I just didn't have
the time to commit to the code cleanup.

I thought about it again in the earlier days of nmh, but the code
and project were in too much flux at the time to even consider
proposing such a radical change.

It's still something I would like to do, but if I'm going to dump a
whole lot of hours into nmh I would first use those to make the code
strictly POSIX compliant, and get rid of all the autoconf cruft.  But
since religion has taken the place of engineering these days I've
instead just shut the **** up.

--lyndon