Re: [Nmh-workers] Fixing decoding of quoted messages in replies

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Fixing decoding of quoted messages in replies
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:22:36 +0000

Hi meillo,

> Using nmh though is currently pretty tough. ;-)

Agreed, in this modern world.  I persist with it but that's because it's
what I know.  I occasionally have flights of fancy about gradually
replacing some of its commands with Python ones.  Am I the only one?

The C code base of nmh has accumulated lots of cruft over the years and
contains code and tests that's no longer required on any modern Unix.
But there's not much of a test suite to aid trying to clean it up.

I was thinking of a scan(1) replacement that would colour-code the
results, if I wanted.  To begin with, I'd be happy with configuration
being in Python.  And then an mhshow(1) that assumes a UTF-8 terminal
and converts headers and body to that for one seamless less(1) instance
without a "Press <return> to show content..." prompt.

Unfortunately, the spirit is willing but the tuits are lacking.  :)
Good to see some activity on nmh regardless.

Cheers,
Ralph.