Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 15:51:32 -0400

    Lyndon> On 10-11-03 11:45 AM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
    >> So let's figure out what's
    >> really important.  To me, that's Linux.

    Lyndon> You are a lonely voice in a large crowd.

    Lyndon> I have seven servers at home.  None of them run Linux.  I
    Lyndon> currently run nmh on multiple major releases of FreeBSD,
    Lyndon> Solaris, and OpenBSD.  In the
    Lyndon> not too distant past I used it on HP/UX, AIX, and Irix.

    Lyndon> The reason I brought up the POSIX discussion is because I'm
    Lyndon> currently getting nmh to run (under ape) on Plan 9, which
    Lyndon> will never run autoconf
    Lyndon> and is a better place for it.

autoconf used to buy us a lot in the days when HPUX and AIX and IRIX
couldn't actually get POSIX right.  Those systems are mostly dead,
except for a few who keep those systems around for fun.

For the rest of us (including OSX, FreeBSD, Solaris, NetBSD, and
yes.. Linux), POSIX is enough.

I am not in favour of ripping autoconf, but I am also not in favour of
maintaining it.  I'd rather just have Makefile.posix checked in, and use
that if I want, and if autoconf rots, oh well.

] address@hidden http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.