Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] small fix for configure.in

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] small fix for configure.in
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:26:29 +0000

Ken Hornstein wrote:
>>the attached patch fixes the expansion of the mandir variable. This
>>fixes the display of the configuration at the end of the configure
>>run.
>
>Hm, I take it that the issue is that "nmhman" was being displayed
>as "$(prefix)/share/man"?  Or something like that?

Yep. If you just run configure with no arguments you get
man page install path      : ${prefix}/share/man

>I would have thought that the eval would have taken care of that; actually,
>now that I try it out, I see that from my quick testing, it _should_ work.

The trouble is that there are several layers of indirection
to be undone:
mandir is    ${datarootdir}/man
nmhman is    ${prefix}/share/man
nmhman2 is   /usr/local/nmh/share/man

(The reason autoconf leaves these unexpanded is so you can
specify a different prefix when running make and have all
the dependent variables adjust correctly without having to
reconfigure.)

Anyway, I guess autoconf must have changed at some point so
the default value of mandir needs an extra level of expansion.

I couldn't see a clean good way to expand only the
right number of times here, so I've just committed a
slightly tweaked version of markus' patch.

If anybody has a better suggestion we can do that instead :-)

-- PMM