Re: [Nmh-workers] MIME questions, and followup to my earlier email

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] MIME questions, and followup to my earlier email
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:36:57 -0600

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> I haven't paid attention to mail standards in a long time.  Is RFC 2231
> a happening thing?  Do we need to go through the trouble of supporting it?

I have support for 2184 (which 2231 updates) in my
OSS Perl program, but mainly when dealing with attachment
data where is seems to be of most practical use.

I think several MUAs support it, but unsure about the
ones used by most people (e.g. Outlook).

I've seen the use of non-ASCII encoding defined in RFC 2047
inside of parameter values, which is not valid, but is likely
that MUAs are supporting such abuse due to developers
misunderstanding the MIME RFCs.  I do not recommend nmh
even try to deal with such data.

IMO, if there is motivation to provide more robust MIME
handling in nmh, I think it would be a mistake to not
support 2231.

--ewh