Re: [Nmh-workers] character sets and localization

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] character sets and localization
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:45:02 -0500

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:17:49 PST, Jon Steinhart said:

> I have written some other mail processing code that handles character sets.
> This code works by converting everything into UTF-8 internally.  It does
> this by having mapping tables that map codes from various character sets
> into UTF-8 codes.  These tables live in a directory full of mapping files
> as there are potentially a very large number of these.  Is this an approach
> that we should take with nmh?

No, we should find a good external library that handles that for us.

glibc comes with 'iconv', that should be a good place to start for most
systems.  Probably we should create a wrapper function that just calls
iconv on glibc-based systems, or equivalent on other boxes.

> There is no standard of which I'm aware for finding out the local character
> set.

Look at the $LANG environment variable, that's probably a good start on most
systems. The various LC_ environment variables if you want to do more
localization work.