Re: [Nmh-workers] extending nmh for smtps support?

From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] extending nmh for smtps support?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:56:40 -0800

> The question that still out there is whether or not nmh should support
> smtps.

I don't think so.  The protocol was never standardized, and there is
an active effort to abolish the remaining uses of it in favour of SMTP
STARTTLS (RFC 3207).  Also, smtps' use of port 465 was never
registered with IANA; 465 is now officially assigned to SSM URD.

A better approach to this is to use the MTA interface to have nmh call
a user-supplied program that does the SSL-wrapped chat on port 465.
This is much more in line with the MH/UNIX tool based approach.

E.g., when I'm on my laptop, I send/receive all my mail over UUCP.
There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to have post directly invoke
'uux smarthost!rmail' instead of feeding the message through sendmail.
Or for Plan9, upas/send.

--lyndon