Re: [Nmh-workers] can we just use ...

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] can we just use ...
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:24:22 -0600

Lyndon wrote:

> In the cleanup I'm doing I'm getting rid of the wrapper functions
> that exist only to contain OS portability issues.  That's much
> smaller subset of the original list that was posted.

Mike wrote:

# frankly, in large systems i've written, NO code
# outside a very limited library was allowed to
# do anything that looked or smelled like it
# would result in a system call. (this specifically
# includes storage allocation, too)  that has saved
# many, many man-hours porting code or re-purposing it.
# it also makes for self-contained debugging which
# doesn't rely upon having a working debugger on
# a new platform (or one you can't use - same thing).

I prefer the latter.  The cost is pretty much nil and
the benefits can be significant, and recurring.