Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What\'s the goal)

From: Jeffrey Honig
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What\'s the goal)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:59:43 -0500

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:35, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>Well, since you asked, I am still using MH 6.8.4 on Solaris, often with
>exmh.  I'm also running vintage MMDF as my MTA :-).

Hey John, cool to see you're still around!  Hadn't seen anything from
you in forever, so I thought you had gone off to bigger and better
things.

>However, I'm also using Gmail, particularly because of its threading and
>spam-rejection, and also because people mail me documents so often
>(and Gmail provides a good in-browser preview).

Just for my own curiousity (and having a better desire to understand how
people use MH/nmh), how exactly does this work?  Do you preview email via
the Gmail web interface and then suck it down via MH?  What tools do you
use to do that, since I'm not sure that stock MH 6.8.4 can do that out
of the box?

I'll jump in here too as I also use gmail heavily for my personal e-mail.

I switched to this for a couple reasons:
  1. Gmail's SPAM filters are excellent.
  2. I use any one of a number of systems and devices to read my e-mail and nmh/mh-e is hard to get to.
  3. Gmail's SPAM filters are excellent
What I do is have all my e-mail go to gmail directly and use fetchmail to pull all sent mail and mail I want to archive.  I use a special label (ArchieMe) that I tag mail with that I want to get into my MH folders.

For work I use nmh/mh-e exclusively.

Thanks

Jeff

--