Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Pee

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Peek
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 14:35:11 -0500

>On 2012-02-03, at 10:59 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>
>> I thought about this ... but that would mean we ditch the installed
>> system components files completely, and it's not clear what we do for
>> existing users.
>
>I would use the system-side components as the template to populate
>the user's components file. Then again, I've never found the system
>components file to be useful at any of the sites I've deployed MH
>into, since the people actually using MH invariably set up their own
>customized components. But I could also be persuaded to go with
>getpwnam(getuid())->address@hidden().

I'm just thinking of how this works ... do we need to tell users they
have to run some "update-nmh" script?

>This really all comes down to getting the domain part of the address
>right. Perhaps the above getpwnam... hack with the ability to override
>the RHS. E.g., if /usr/local/nmh/etc/MailDomain exists, use its
>contents rather than calling gethostname() when building the implicit
>default From: header.

We have the localname entry in mts.conf today, and actually that's
what it was used for.  That has a few undesirable side effects
(it's used at the hostname in the EHLO command when you're doing
SMTP, but it occurs to me that is wrong).  We could simply make
have smtp always use the "true" local name.