Re: [Nmh-workers] Conversion to Automake complete

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Conversion to Automake complete
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:40:09 -0500

ken wrote:
 > Greetings all,
 >
 > As I've said/threatened before, I have been working on converting nmh over
 > to Automake.  I'm pleased to announce that I believe the conversion is
 > complete, and I've just pushed that work to the master branch.

hi --

i'm attempting to build from git, on ubuntu natty.  i have
autoconf 2.67 and automake 1.11.1.

autogen.mk runs fine.  ./configure gives:

    checking for dbm in ndbm.h... no
    checking for dbm in db.h and db... no
    checking for dbm in ndbm.h and db... no
    checking for dbm in ndbm.h and db1... no
    checking for dbm in ndbm.h and ndbm... no
    checking for dbm in db1/ndbm.h and db1... no
    checking for dbm in gdbm/ndbm.h and gdbm... no
    checking for dbm in gdbm/ndbm.h and gdbm_compat -lgdbm... no
    checking for dbm in ndbm.h and gdbm... no
    checking for dbm in ndbm.h and gdbm_compat -lgdbm... no
    configure: error: could not find a working ndbm library/header combination

i have libgdm-dev and libgdm3 installed, and i don't see any other
likely *dbm packages available that i should try.

any ideas?  (i've worked around it for now by taking out the ndbm checks
and removing slocal from the build, since i don't use it.)

paul

(ironically, when searching my mail archives to see if this has
already been mentioned, i found mail from myself asking about a very
similar error on redhat 9, in 2003.  clearly dbm isn't my strong suit. :-)

 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 31.1 degrees)