Re: [Nmh-workers] Unknown switches to "post" and more garbage collection

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Unknown switches to "post" and more garbage collection
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:19:56 -0500

Ken wrote:

> I was working on post, and I came across these switches.  I was
> wondering if any of the greybeards here happen to know what they're for:
>
>       -deliver   Claims that the argument is an address-list, but from the
>                  code it seems to do ... nothing?  Hm.  Maybe in the
>                  old days it was used when compiling in MHMTS ... and
>                  I have no idea what THAT is for.  Any ideas?
>
>       -fill-in   Maybe when you're doing whom ... it redirects the
>                  output of that command to a specified file?  Maybe?
>                  No, it seems to do more.  Anyone know?
>
>       -fill-up   Seems to change behavior when you're doing a "whom".
>                  Again ... what the hell?

Right, -deliver was used only with MHMTS.  And it looks like
only by the long-extinct rmail.  I don't see it documented
anywhere.

-fill-in and -fill-up were used only by whom in support of White Pages.
I won't try to paraphrase this:

    If MH is compiled with the WP option, send recognizes an
    address between < and > characters such as:

            To: < rose -org psi >;

    to be a name meaningful to a whitepages service.  In order
    to expand the name, send must be invoked interactively
    (i.e., not from push).  For each name, send will invoke a
    command called fred in a special mode asking to expand the
    name.

fred, FRont-End to Dish, is documented here:
ftp://165.87.194.246/pub/gen-info/NYSERNet_Guide-v2.txt
WP support was removed from MH 6.7.2 in '92.

Clearly we can nuke all of this.  All of the fprintf's to
"out" could be removed, there's quite a few of them.