Re: [Nmh-workers] The curse of m_getfld()

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] The curse of m_getfld()
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:38:43 -0400

>On 1/27/2012 2:07 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>
>> Okay, you've convinced me. I've also got my finger on the "fire photon
>> torpedoes" button. Does anyone want to speak up for m_getfld.c before
>> we decide to relegate it to the dustbin of history?
>
>noone spoke up.
>
>is there any interrim cleanup happening in m_getfld in the 1.5 time
>frame?

I wasn't planning on doing any myself.  The problem as I see it is
that m_getfld() touches everything, and I'm reluctant to make any
incremental changes to m_getfld() that could potentially break a
whole bunch of stuff.  Since we've got a lot of changes coming for
1.5, I wanted to get that out the door soon-ish.  Also, I'm not
sure what we could do to m_getfld() that would improve the situation
without getting rid of it entirely.  And I am thinking that the
work for the Vixiefied(*) API is going to take some time.

If you have some suggestions for changes to m_getfld() that you'd like
to see for 1.5, then I'm open to hearing them.

--Ken

(*) Technically it should be "Vixie-Nerenbergified API", but that doesn't
    quite roll off the tongue, does it?