Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking In Scripts and nmh Locking

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking In Scripts and nmh Locking
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:34:20 +0000

On 2012-04-26 1:24 PM, David Levine wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>
>> They include adding to mail drops, moving files between and within
>> folders and editing context files (mostly to rename or remove
>> sequences).
> Though they can get clumsy, there are nmh programs to do each
> of those things.  send/post adds to mail drops, refile moves
> messages between and within folders.
> I'd much, much rather use the high-level tools.
>
> I realize you provided examples so there may be tasks that
> aren't as easy to handle.  If we need to add to existing programs
> to get what you need, I think that's the way to go.

because i run some mh tools from cron, i am sometimes surprised when my
real time human commands that might be "pick ... -seq xyz; scan xyz" end
up having their folder changed out from under them. "-nochangecur" is
not as good a solution for this as a high level locking tool would be.
sometimes i want a script or a set of commands to have exclusive access
even if none of them is accessing the underlying files and directories
of mh directly.