Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:45:20 -0400

>Even with support for encoding, we would be decoding to the current
>locale which may not support the characters required. Perhaps not
>something to worry about with UTF-8 being more common but I'd prefer to
>have to see the unencoded string in my editor than for the name of my
>recipient to get mangled.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that.  When I sent out my hand-encoded
subject line last month the replies were interesting ... clearly some MUAs
handle it differently than others (some replies had the whole Subject
line encoded with windows-1252).  I'm not sure there's a "good" solution;
I think we'll just have to see how things work in practice.  Although since
I'm now UTF-8 aware I think I would personally prefer to see the actual
decoded UTF-8 characters in my draft.