Re: [Nmh-workers] attach

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] attach
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:34:18 -0500

Oliver wrote:

> Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if whatnow's `attach foo' attaching foo/* when it's a
> > directory is surprising and it would be better to error, forcing
> > the user to
>
> Does it actually do that? From my tests, it seemed more broken:
>
> % mkdir foo
> % touch foo/{one,two}
> % comp
> What now? attach foo
> What now? list
> From:
> Nmh-Attachment: /home/opk/one
> Nmh-Attachment: /home/opk/two
>
> The files are actually /home/opk/foo/one etc. This occurs because of the
> use of ls: ls isn't prefixing the current directory so presumably that's
> done by nmh.

That's right, and you're right.

Maybe this is another argument for adding -d to the ls command.
But -d conflates not descending into directories with not
dereferencing symbolic links, so the display (alist) will show
links.  Though I can't get ls to dereference symlinks on Linux,
anyway.  -H or -L should, but /bin/ls -HL still shows me the
link.

send(1) will still dereference symlinks, in effect, because it
uses fopen(3) when attaching.