Re: [Nmh-workers] Clearing `cur' Message.

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Clearing `cur' Message.
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:08:14 -0500

Ralph wrote:

> How does one clear `cur' for a folder?  It can be set with `folder 42'
> though the mandatory line of output is annoying.

I just redirect the output to /dev/null.  There is a folder
-noprint, currently undocumented.  All it does now is allow
output of the folder stack while suppressing other output.
Maybe change it to suppress all output?

> When there is no current message, e.g. after `rmm', ~/.mh_sequences
> still contains the old value and mark still lists it.  For a new folder,
> there is no .mh_sequences but once one's created it seems cur never
> leaves it.  If I delete the `cur:' line from .mh_sequences then all
> seems well;  mark still lists it but it's empty.  Is that a valid
> workaround?

That could cause confusion if there was nothing else in
.mh_sequences:

    /*
     * If no mh-sequences file is defined, or if a mh-sequences file
     * is defined but empty (*mh_seq == '\0'), then pretend folder
     * is readonly.  This will force all sequences to be private.
     */
    if (mh_seq == NULL || *mh_seq == '\0')
        set_readonly (mp);

The workaround for now would be to set cur: to something that
isn't a message.  `mhpath new` will give you one, but as a
full path.  "cur: 0" seems to work.

But we really should come up with an interface to do that.
folder -clearmessage?  Or folder -clear, but that seems like
it should clear the current folder, too.