Re: [Nmh-workers] re repl'ing to msgs with utf-8 From & Subject

From: rader
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] re repl'ing to msgs with utf-8 From & Subject
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:41:11 -0500

 > >Does someone have a recipe for decoding utf-8 From and Subject when doing
 > >repl?
 > >(They look something like From: "=?utf-8?...=?=".)
 > >
 > >Looks like neither the standard replcomps form nor a filter with...
 > >
 > > from:nocomponent,formatfield="From: %(putstr{text})":
 >
 > %decode() ought to do the right thing (it's used in the shipped scan
 > format) ... but you don't want to do that.
 >
 > We can't (yet) ENCODE RFC2047 headers.  So if we decode a From: or Subject:
 > with non-ASCII characters, we're kinda stuck because we'll be sending out
 > something that's invalid according to the RFCs.  Right now leaving the
 > encoded headers intact is probably our best bet; that way capapable mailers
 > can still understand them.

Okay, I agree about the headers, but how exactly does one get %decode() to
work in a filter for the replied text??  I just tried...

 from:nocomponent,formatfield="From: %decode()":
 from:nocomponent,formatfield="From: %decode(%(putstr{text}))":

which result in...

 mhl: "From: %d": format compile error - component or function name expected
 mhl:         ^

steve
---