Re: [Nmh-workers] Artificial argv limits.

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Artificial argv limits.
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:30:13 -0500

david wrote:
 > Paul F. wrote:
 >
 > > david wrote:
 > >  > Paul F. wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > > as for the rest of mh -- it's certainly possible to hit the MAXARGS
 > >  > > limit with other commands (show, for instance), but i suspect the
 > >  > > frequency is much lower, and those, too, can be fixed as needed.
 > >  >
 > >  > I'd vote for nuking these, as well:
 > >  >
 > >  >   uip/forw.c:         if (mp->numsel >= MAXARGS - i)
 > >  >   uip/mshcmds.c:      if (mp->numsel > MAXARGS - 1) {
 > >  >   uip/show.c:    if (mp->numsel > MAXARGS - 2)
 > >
 > > i'll take a look, and take a stab at them.  they'll need more
 > > careful review.
 >
 > All of them load a statically sized array, so it would have
 > to be changed to dynamically allocated.  Maybe it's not
 > worth the trouble.  There'd be an inconsistency between
 > msh's rmm and the standalone, but I don't think we need to
 > invest any effort in maintaining msh.

taking ken's advice, i've committed these changes directly.  (i didn't
touch msh -- i started to, but didn't like where it was taking me.)

i've converted show and forw to no longer use MAXARGS, and to remove
the limit on the number of messages passed to their utility procs:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/commit/?id=3afd424b248b00353486cc9b3d25fc1e4bc04cdd

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/commit/?id=d4a03f6f2b8d7995748753338b5b86044e132403

along the way i did burst, too, though it wasn't really necessary --
it was more like practice:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/commit/?id=9ca1024919eb864456ca64ed2439dc5a51bab243

in addition, i removed some long-dead code from show:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/commit/?id=b21a31b058c3aa1802145dd32b56b2e9b5d8641f

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 36.9 degrees)