Re: [Nmh-workers] Git Annoyances

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Git Annoyances
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:26:25 -0500

>Do we have anyone on board capable of fighting Git enough to give us
>*useful* commit messages?

Well, this isn't exactly the fault of git, per se ... it's the post-receive
hook script, and we don't manage the repo so we can't change that.  I
can put in requests to the savannah admins (and I believe I did that for
you once before to remove the git output from the email), but they are
busy and don't have great turnaround time.

>I.e., could we drop the noise before the '- Log --...' line, and maybe
>include a link (or links) back to the repo that display the diffs?  Or
>include a set of 'git diff ...' command text to do the same thing?  We
>really should be beyond the process of having to do all this manually
>in this day and age :-P

Well, I _do_ look at that noise, and if I want to look at the diffs
for particular commits I use "git log -p".  If you want to look at
the diff for the most recent commit, "git pull; git log -p" will do that.
If you want to look at a particular one, use the commit identifier.
E.g., for David's commit do "git log -p bfad64bef"; add a -n 1 if
you just want to look at that one and not go all the way back.