Re: [Nmh-workers] MD5FMT

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] MD5FMT
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:42:04 +0000

Hi Lyndon,

> On FreeBSD and MacOS 10.6, md5 produces:
>
> MD5 (README) = 594d19e333c06370c49afaa1f8d21c93
>
> which when run through the default MD5FMT sed transformation gives:
>
> 594d19e333c06370c49afaa1f8d21c93  README
>
> which seems wrong according to the comments in output_md5()
> (test/common.sh).

    output_md5()
    {
      #### Output just the checksum.  If the filename needs to appear on
      #### the same line, the caller needs to add it.  This avoids
      #### differences due to a leading '*' binary file indicator, for
      #### text files, on some platforms (Cygwin).
      @MD5SUM@ $* | @MD5FMT@ | cut -d ' ' -f 1
    }

The cut(1) is meant to remove the filename by keeping only the digest.

> The filename shouldn't be there.  This causes test/inc/test-eom-align
> to fail.  Am I the only person running machines that don't have
> md5sum, or am I missing something here.

You've altered MD5FMT's definition to do this,

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/commit/?id=fdf3c4fe7120e2d5d594859fb4a298cc2a8d4bc1

which I think could be wrong if it's used elsewhere and expects the
filename to be present.