Re: [Nmh-workers] test/pick/test-pick failing on FreeBSD

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] test/pick/test-pick failing on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:17:04 -0500

>I should never have to set LANG or LC_* to get proper MIME decoding.
>E.g., on MacOS I can unset LC_* and set LANG=C and the header still
>decodes properly.

MacOS X ships with iconv, so that's how it deals with it.  Let's look at
the situation here:

- You've indicated your character set is us-ascii.
- We have no software library to convert one character set to another
  (since FreeBSD lacks iconv).
- We have to display text that is in a non-native character set (UTF-8).

What, exactly, are we supposed to do here? (I am assuming you don't want
to simply dump UTF-8 to a us-ascii terminal).  Unless we want to write a
special case for this, I think displaying the undecoded header is reasonable
(and one of the suggested options in RFC 2047).