[Nmh-workers] Inability to cat a Message Part.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Inability to cat a Message Part.
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:38:35 +0100

Hi,

Take

    $ mhlist
     msg part  type/subtype              size description

    7800       multipart/mixed           1842
         1     text/plain                  62
         2     application/x-gzip         971
    $

The headers for part 2 are

It seems odd I can't do something like

    mhcat -part 2 | gunzip | less

and instead have to mhstore first.  Or can I?  I know mhstore formatting
strings in ~/.mh_profile can start with a `|' to give the command to
pipe to but they're switched on type or type/subtype and I don't want to
do this for all application/x-gzip, just part 2 of this message.

If I create

    mhshow-show-application/x-gzip: zcat

then I can

    mhshow -form mhl.null -part 2 | less

but again that needs ~/.mh_profile editing and affects all
application/x-gzip;  I know this part is gzip'd text but not all are for
all mhshows.

Is some means of specifying type/subtype handling needed for the command
line instead of always being ~/.mh_profile?  Really, I don't want nmh
doing the zcat;  just give me the raw part, like mhcat above.  mhcat is
easy enough to script for one's own purpose, using mhshore, but it would
seem more the Unix way to fit better in a pipeline.