Re: [Nmh-workers] Setup help???

From: Bob Carragher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Setup help???
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 00:50:35 -0700

On Thu, 02 May 2013 21:52:08 -0400 Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> >My apologies!  It's version 1.3-1 (pretty ancient, I guess, but
> >that's what's tied to my version of Ubuntu -- something else I
> >need to update).
>
> Okay, yeah, that explains a lot.  There are some other features
> in nmh 1.5 that you might be interested in as well (the web
> page has details on the hilights).  The nmh home page is here:
>
>       http://www.nongnu.org/nmh/
>
> Also, you _CAN_ always compile nmh on your own; we did try to
> make that as easy as possible.  You shouldn't need to be a
> programmer to do it.  There really shouldn't be too much in
> terms of system dependencies as long as your OS is relatively
> new (and by "relatively", I mean, "within a decade").

Then my OS (Ubuntu 10.04) will work.  B-)  I've avoided building
my own installs because I got tired of maintaining dependencies,
the main advantage (for me) of using Ubuntu.  (It used to be so
easy:  install GNU, then install X, then install a couple of
"etc." software like MH and emacs.  B-)

> >Yes, the version I'm using doesn't allow me to configure the
> >"Sender:" field, which was the first thing I try.  NMH gives me
> >the following error message:
> >
> >     whom: illegal header line -- Sender:
> >
> >I wasn't aware that it was NMH that adds in the Sender: field.
> >I thought it was sendmail.
>
> AFAIK, sendmail will never add a Sender: field.  MH (and as a
> consequence, nmh) had a very strong idea that your host's FQDN
> and local user account matched your email address; if it saw a
> mismatch between that and your supplied From: header, it would
> add a Sender: field.  That's finally been corrected as of 1.5.
> Now you can add a Sender: if you wish, but otherwise nmh will
> treat what you put in your draft as gospel.

Funny -- I was thinking of downloading the NMH source and hacking
it to stop it doing that, and then I read on some webpage that it
was sendmail that did that.  (Bad information!)

I'm really looking forward to version 1.5!

> >In fact, my "fix" (as I mentioned in
> >the other followup on this thread, and after a lot of googling)
> >was to reconfigure sendmail to remap my local (illegal) address
> >to "address@hidden" instead.
>
> It looks like from your other message that you're using spost.
> While there are a lot of strong opinions on how you should
> configure nmh for sending email (see the mailing list
> archives), I will point out that you don't even need to use
> sendmail at all; you can configure nmh to have post simply
> submit outgoing mail to the gmail SMTP server.  That would make
> it behave like every other mail program on the planet.  Doing
> that would also require 1.5, though (and you'd need to compile
> nmh with Cyrus-SASL and TLS support).

I wasn't aware I was using spost.  (Actually I wasn't aware of
the existence of an NMH package program called "spost" before.)

Not having to use sendmail has appeal, although I would still
need it for the incoming email that I fetch from GMail.  Though
I suspect that there's a way to do that as well without needing
sendmail.  (Ah, never needing sendmail again!  B-)

Thanks!

                                Bob