Re: [Nmh-workers] Weird behavior with non-ascii code in headers

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Weird behavior with non-ascii code in headers
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:19:48 -0400

>It's because other code, MTAs, MLMs, etc., either didn't notice the
>errant byte or ignored it, that it reached an MUA.  If it had been
>spotted and the SMTP MAIL rejected, for example, by the first party
>after the bug-inducer then there's more chance it would have been fixed.
>By turning a blind eye and referring to "Mar?a" we'd be lengthening the
>chain of "where did it go wrong" possibilities.

Let's bound the problem a bit here.  MTAs wouldn't normally care about
this, since this only appears in the display-name and it wouldn't even
have been visible until the after the DATA command had finished.  I can't
really think it would be reasonable for an MTA to reject email for that
reason by that point, so I think it's reasonable for the burden to fall
on the MUA to make sense of this.