Re: [Nmh-workers] De-MIMEing

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] De-MIMEing
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:18:00 -0500

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> replyfilter gets hooked into mhl as part of step 2) above. replyfilter's
> magic is new functionality in mhl that allows the "body" component of a
> message (basically, the whole body as one big piece) to be processed via
> an external program.

I wrote mha-mhedit a long time ago, so I am not sure the "magic" you
mention was possible in earlier versions of nmh (and in MH itself).

If it was, I was not aware of it, and took an approach that works based
on the knowledge I had of MH/nmh at the time.

> The wrinkle here
> is that replyfilter only has access to the body of the message, due to
> complications with mhl; the extra MIME headers it needs are passed as
> command line arguments

I definitely needed an approach that provide access to the entire mail
message.

> I have nothing against mha-mhedit's approach; my motivation was to have
> a solution that could work with third-party programs; you can't easily
> use mha-mhedit with something like exmh, for example (or at least it
> wasn't obvious to me).

Since I already had software that did MIME parsing and formatting,
mha-mhedit was a way for me to leverage it in order to overcome the
deficiencies in MH/nmh's repl capbilities.

I've never used exmh, so I am not sure if mha-mhedit can be used with
it.

Unless someone already has mhonarc (or does not mind installing it), I
think Ken's script is the way to go until nmh can natively handle
formatting replies to MIME messages better.

--ewh