Re: [Nmh-workers] Features for 1.6

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Features for 1.6
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 13:15:14 -0400

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
    > Well, _if_ someone is following RFC 3676 properly, we're actually
    > pretty good on reply.  That text is something we can generally deal
    > with.

Sadly, they aren't.
We also, to make this useful, have to detect what outlook, thunderbird
and (now) Apple Mail are doing that *isn't* format=flowed, and pretend
that it is.  That's 99% of what is coming at us, and I really want to turn
it around as format=flowed.

    >> It might be that it's enough also to just know how to specify that the
    >> text is like that, and leave it to exmh/mh-e/vim-macros etc. to get it
    >> right.

    > You can do that today with the existing mhbuild directives.  E.g, if
    > you put something like:

    > #<text/plain; format=flowed

Yes.

    > in your message draft then everything afterwards will have the correct
    > MIME tagging.  But that's not really the hard part; the hard part is
    > doing the wrapping/space stuffing/soft line breaks.  Punting that to an
    > editor macro ... well, that seems lousy and unnecessarily complicated.

What I'm saying is that maybe this is a front-end problem, and that the
draft should already be in that format.  I'm sure that exmh and emacs can
arrange that.

    > Also, it seems to me to basicaly be saying, "Screw you, hippie, you're
    > on your own".  Really, we should be able to have users simply type
    > paragraph-split text into their editor and have mhbuild handle it
    > appropriately.

okay.

    >> I wasn't sure that format=flowed even made specific provisions for
    >> that.

    > Sure, just don't put soft line breaks at the end of text you don't want
    > reflowed; that's pretty straightforward.

That's what I meant: did we actually have to do anything? I'd want to
support:

and maybe write an RFC about it too.

#
]     address@hidden  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [