Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 06:25:13 -0700

Thus spake Ken Hornstein:
> Just out of curiousity ... did you produce this message with nmh?  I ask
> because it didn't actually have proper MIME encoding.  This can happen
> when you use nmh but don't run mhbuild on the message, for example (my
> plans are to make this automatically happen for 1.6).

It's just as you said---I didn't run mhbuild. Having that run
automatically wouldn't be a bad idea. Is there a way to have that run
automatically in 1.5?

> >I've noticed recently that I'm getting some mojibake in messages from
> >a few sources. Both examples I have handy have a quoted-printable UTF-8
> >encoded text/html part, and one also has a quoted-printable UTF-8
> >encoded text/plain part.
>
> Alright, so you're in a UTF-8 locale, which solves one problem; we don't
> support iconv, which is also something I'm working at fixing for 1.6  I am
> assuming you're using "mhshow" to look at these messages.

That's correct.

> Stupid question
> time: do these messages decode properly when you mhstore them?

Yes.

> If
> you look at them without a pager, do they appear correct?

Do you mean without a pager in mhshow? How would I do that?

I think I found something related to the cause: I have this line in
my mhn.defaults:

  mhshow-show-text/html: %p/usr/bin/lynx -force_html -dump '%f' | less

When I remove that and run show on the message which has a text/plain
part, it displays correctly. I take it that what I have in mhn.defaults
is not/no longer a good thing to have? What are people using to display
HTML parts these days?

--
J.