Re: [Nmh-workers] tmp file cleanup

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] tmp file cleanup
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:52:15 -0800

> It looks like this might have been added just 4 years ago.
> Otherwise, I'd be reluctant to remove it.  Earl?

The only place I've seen $TMP referenced is on Windows.  We really shouldn't
proliferate this to UNIX when the convention since the dawn of time has been
$TMPDIR.

> This is a security breach waiting to happen.  For tempfiles you should
>> always be specifying an absolute path.  This isn't just an MH issue.
>
> Alright, how about if we adios() if MHTMPDIR contains any ".." ?

I'm still uneasy about relative paths, but I don't have the time right now to
test an explicit exploit scenario.  The '..' test should be there regardless,
though.  And I wonder if there aren't other places we should disallow it.

--lyndon