Re: [Nmh-workers] Should I learn nmh or GNU mailutils?

From: heymanj
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Should I learn nmh or GNU mailutils?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:16:47 -0500

On 13 February 2014 at 20:56, address@hidden:

> On 2014-02-13 20:24, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> I've never had a reason to script anything - I might be the exception.
>> The only thing I've done is changed GUIs that I've used over the years.
>> I started with xmh (X Windows based client), moved to exmh (TCL based
>> client), to finally settling on Sylpheed.
>
> It's curious that you mention Sylpheed merely as a GUI. I do have some
> experience with Sylpheed's fork, called Claws Mail. In fact, I have
> opted to use MH after having considered whether to use Claws Mail, which
> is nice and I like but does not allow me all the raw power that you can
> get with many small single-purpose tools that can be used in scripts.
> I knew already that Sylpheed/Claws Mail used the MH system, as they are
> sitting on top of it. But now I was bit suprised to hear that they are
> just a GUI, because I thought of them as much more than a GUI. Just out
> of curiosity: do Sylpheed/Claw Mail use the original MH programs as
> backend, or did they write their own implementation of MH?

I haven't looked closely at the sylpheed code lately.

I know that I have configured it to explicitly use some of the MH
commands (the most important being pack and inc).

I probably over-simplified the description of sylpheed, which will
bother Hiroyuki Yamamoto (the author), should it get back to him.  It
(sylpheed) is one of the few email GUI tools that understands and can
make use of the MH file/folder structure, which is what drew me to it
in the first place.

As I said previously, I use fetchmail to pull all my email from the ISP
to my local machine.  Sylpheed is my email GUI client of choice, and it
stays running all the time.  Every 10min (configurable) it explicitly
runs the MH command 'inc' to bring any new email into my inbox.
Periodically, I have a 'tool' defined to compress (actually calls out
MH command 'pack') to clean up my inbox.

Sylpheed is NOT just a GUI that sits on top of MH as it has it's own
style of aliases, and can't use the standard format that MH uses.

Hopefully I've erased the confusion that I orginally caused in my
description.

jerry
     // Jerry Heyman               | We are all born ignorant, but
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | one must work hard to remain stupid
\\ //   heymanj at acm dot org     | -- Benjamin Franklin
 \X/    http://www.hobbeshollow.com|