Re: [Nmh-workers] suppressing display methods

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] suppressing display methods
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:17:56 -0400

david wrote:
 > Paul F. wrote:
 >
 > > i've long thought that it wasn't possible for a user's local
 > > configuration to "mask out" a display method configured in
 > > /etc/mhn.defaults.  it turns out that this isn't true,
 >
 > Should the addition mention that?  Maybe in a paragraph to
 > precede the one you wrote, mentioning:  mhn.defaults is read
 > first, then the user's profile and any additional profiles
 > specified by the environment variables listed in the
 > mh-profile(5) man page.  The last value read for any entry is
 > the one that is used.

that's not quite right.  first .mh_profile is read, then $MHSHOW, then
/etc/mhn.defaults, and the first definition wins.  the order is
unfortunate, in my opinion, since intuitively something defined in the
environment should override something defined in a file.

that's just all the more reason to describe the full mechanism
more completely, and i agree with putting the full description in
mh-profile (perhaps along with a brief pointer in the other pages).

paul