Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on openbsd...

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on openbsd...
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:58:14 -0700

On Apr 22, 2014, at 6:37 PM, William Yodlowsky <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not sure what there is to say.  I was hoping to appeal to all of
> you; you're adding code to make it build on OpenBSD, but OpenBSD then
> needs to rip that out and put other code in to make rcvtty work.  Thus
> we both have more work, most people aren't running the codepath you have
> written, and we all lose something.

As I hinted at earlier, can we rip the problematic code out to a separate file
that you folks can just replace in your builds?  If it's only utmp[x[, we
should be able to slice that out into a set of wrapper functions defined by a
simple API.  We ship an implementation that uses the POSIX/SusV2, and you folks
can drop in a replacement that works for you.

The 'popularity' argument isn't relevant.  We choose to code to the POSIX/SUS
standards.  But we'll do what we can to make it easy for you folks to make
rcvtty work against your own internal implementation of utmp*.

And I say again: how often does this code change?  We come up with a simple
API, we each write to it once, and put it to bed.  I don't see it changing
again in my lifetime, and maybe not even yours :-)

--lyndon