Re: [Nmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.6 now available

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.6 now available
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 17:55:56 -0400

>That would help.  But I think that the whole business should
>be reviewed and possibly redesigned.  As in, provide an sbr
>function to say whether or not two charset names match.
>Callers that just need that would no longer have to be
>concerned with memory management.

I just realized something ... we're using norm_charmap() wrong.

The purpose of norm_charmap() is to convert a _locale_ character
set (what is returned by nl_langinfo(CODESET)) into a standard MIME
character set.  AFACT, norm_charmap() should almost never be used by nmh
applications; they should be using get_charset() if they need the local
character set.  If it's something in email, we can use it directly and
it should not be run through norm_charmap().

Since the only callers of norm_charmap() should be passing in the locale
character encoding, that should never change within a program, so memory
management should not be an issue.