Re: [Nmh-workers] corruption when attaching all-null files

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] corruption when attaching all-null files
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 14:24:10 -0400

>ken wrote:
> > >A file of all \0 wouldn't match any of these cases (contains8bit only
> > >gets set if the function fails isascii(), which is between 0 and 127.).
> > >I think we need a new test (isvalid7bit?  Have to think about it).
> >
> > Also ... we use fgets() to read in the file we're scanning.  We'll fail
> > with NULs when it comes to that.  It looks like we should be using
> > getline() instead.  Is that pretty common nowadays?  Looks like it's
>
>i'm completely unfamiliar with the code paths in question, but if
>we're reading an arbitrary file, shouldn't we just use fread()?

Sigh.  You'd THINK that.  But in practice it's hard.  You care about line
length; fgets() (used now) and getline() read input in lines.  If you used
fread(), you'd have to keep track of line delimiters itself.  Check out
scan_content() in mhbuildsbr.c.  The loop commented "Scan the unencoded
content" is what we're talking about.