Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 10:08:32 +0100

Hi Ken,

> The question I put to all of you: who gets to decide what is "right"?

The RFCs.  They define interoperability.  :-)

I agree with kre;  from looking at FLOSS MUAs and mail-producing
libraries, one often gets the impression that they didn't open an RFC,
or if they did, they backed off at the formal(!) language and decided
instead to "copy the kid sitting next to them" by poking about their
inbox for example emails.

Inspecting a corpus is fine for seeing what's out there, and what other
MUAs have done when there are options, but not for deciding what's valid
IMO.