Re: [Nmh-workers] Attach and disposition

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Attach and disposition
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

i'm just a user.  i used the most convenient method of forwarding an
entire mail message that nmh provides -- the method that i've been
encouraged to switch to over writing build directives, and i didn't
get the results i expected.  sounds like maybe someone else had a
similar surprise with calendar programs, so i don't seem to be alone.

That may be, but this is the nmh-WORKERS list, and you have a commit bit, therefore you are being held to a much higher standard. There is an expectation that anyone hacking on this code understands not only all the relevant standards documents, but the interoperability issues at play in the field of deployed software, past and present.

You're dealing with people who have been doing MUA/MTA development for over three decades in some cases. We are a tough crowd :-) But we are also *here* because we care about using a mail client that is correctly engineered; anything that gives that up for the sake of "but my friend does it" is not going to cut it in this bunch.

pardon me for having higher expectations than i should have.

We will forgive you for not understanding the underlying standards documents as well as you should. We won't forgive whining. As with any sort of engineering work, you must be able to recognize two things: 1) I was wrong, and 2) I don't have enough knowledge to make a correct decision. Neither of those are bad things.

By all means, come play. But always remember you are dealing with a bunch of old billy goats, and we (okay, I, these days) will deploy horns when and where-ever deemed necessary :-) It's a chance to learn -- treat it as such!

--lyndon