Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6 -- proper comment char in .mh_profile?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6 -- proper comment char in .mh_profile?
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 13:12:21 -0400

>The man page for mh_profile doesn't give a specification for how to
>comment out a line.

Err, it doesn't?  From my 1.6 installation:

       tabs.  Comments may be introduced by a line starting with ‘#:’:

       #: This is a comment.

The reason for this is ... well, the core issue is that mh_profile
is read by the same routine that parses email messages.  Technically
"#forw:" is not commented out: it's just a profile entry for a command
called "#forw".  Only one profile entry is supported per command, and
we had cases where people would put multiple profile entries for the
same command but didn't know that one of them is being ignored.  That's
the reason for the warning messge.

Now technically #: is creating a profile entry for a command called “#”,
but we recognize that as special and ignore duplicates of it.