Re: [Nmh-workers] O_CLOEXEC

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] O_CLOEXEC
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 12:05:32 -0500

>As part of the audit, it would be really nice to wrap all open()
>calls so we can take care of this in one place.  We could then
>easily autoconf check for O_CLOEXEC if desired.  We wrap the
>alloc family and that's been very helpful.

You know, if I had my druthers I'd rather just write the code to use the
older but more widely supported fcntl() call to set FD_CLOEXEC; that
would avoid an autoconf test and make Lyndon happier :-)  Also, it looks
like O_CLOEXEC is not actually part of POSIX?  There are also a bunch
of calls to fopen() and for that we'd need to use fcntl() there.

>> >(Is 255 fixed?  File descriptors can run far higher on some systems, and
>> >closing them all can take time, e.g. Apache used to suffer from this.
>> >The BSDs added http://manned.org/closefrom.2 to lessen the calls, but it
>> >still tramples willy-nilly.)
>>
>> It looks like it's based on OPEN_MAX ... which is kind of bogus.
>
>All of that is funneled through one function, closefds(), so
>easy to fix (remove in this case).

Hopefully closefds() can just go away?