Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a c

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:30:15 -0800

On Nov 14, 2014, at 1:50 AM, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Just as with native Plan9 upasfs, you would have to run multiple
>> instances.  That's not a problem in practice.  On my Plan9 machines I
>> regularly have a half dozen upasfs instances in play.
>
> But then it's fundamental to Plan 9 to expect many mounts by the user.

True.  But mounts (and binds) are fundamental to how Plan9 works.  In UNIX,
everything is a file.  In Plan9, everything is a file server.  And in Plan9
there is no such thing as a 'superuser', so operations like mount and bind
require no special privileges.  The filesystem namespace is completely mutable
by design, and the entire operating environment is based around that notion.

Once you've gotten used to it, going back to UNIX is like trying to work while
handcuffed and chained in a locked trunk submerged under water.

--lyndon