Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh architecture discussion: format engine character s

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh architecture discussion: format engine character set
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:05:26 -0400

>Geez, how much hand-waving do you want a guy to do?  :-)

Well, if you're writing the code you can do all of the handwaving you want! :-0

>> Assuming we don't bring in a library like ICU,
>
>GNU's libunistring might be an alternative to ICU.
>http://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/

Hm, I just looked at it; it's not terrible, is it?  What do people think
about creating a dependency on this library?  I'm not sure how mature it is,
though.

>> - Even if we used xlocale (or just overrode the global locale in every
>>   nmh program) it turns out there's not a reliable UTF-8 compatible
>>   default we can use; we ran into this in the test suite, some people
>>   just don't install all of the locales, so we can't assume en_US.UTF-8
>>   (or en_GB.UTF-8, or whatever).
>
>That wouldn't matter if we stopped on a non-UTF-8 locale?

If we want to do that then that is an option, but we do have users that
by choice use non-UTF-8 locales.