Re: [Nmh-workers] What should nhm do with busted Subject: lines?

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What should nhm do with busted Subject: lines?
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 20:05:39 -0500

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:08:38 -0500, Ken Hornstein said:
> >So I got an e-mail from an Outlook abuser that had some UTF-8 smart
> >quote characters in the Subject: line - sans RFC2047 encoding, just
> >bare UTF-8 characters, naked as the day they were typed, plonked in the
> >middle of the line.
> >
> >What *should* nmh do here (given that we don't have a way to tell it
> >was UTF-8 versus an ISO8859-N or 2022 or what-have-you)?
>
> Technically ... those are legal nowadays.  See RFC 6532.  That's a
> message/global message.

*blink* *blink*... Wait, what? When did *that* happen? :)

After digging into it, it looks like somebody *still* deserves to be smacked
around with a large trout, because there's no indication that that anybody
followed RFC6531 and negotiated SMTPUTF8, but just blindly spewed the UTF-8
(I've verified that at least 3 of the servers in the Received: chain do *not*
advertise the SMTP extension).  But then, this isn't my first rodeo (that
was back when Sendmail was still at 5.5mumble), so it's hardly surprising...

Guess I'll have to look at the exmh code and see what it would take to
start doing this right.  There's now enough of a pile of "needs fixing"
that I'll have to start doing serious exmh coding again, it seems...