Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 13:42:35 -0400

>Today I was just trying to configure nmh with fastmail, and I came
>across this thread, so I post my configuration for anyone else who comes
>across this thread while trying to configure nmh for fastmail.
>
>I wound up with the following send command.
>
>  send -server smtps-proxy.messagingengine.com -port 80 -initialtls \
>    -sasl -user address@hidden -saslmech LOGIN
>
>If I understand correctly, initialtls is TLS and tls is STARTTLS.

Weeelll .... this is one of those things that is a bit confusing.

Technically, there is no defined protocol or port number assigned to
the practice of negotiating TLS before any data has been exchanged
in a SMTP (or POP, for that matter) session.  By the book, the way
to do TLS is via STARTTLS.  So it seems to me that by the book, the
"standard" way of doing TLS should be called "TLS", hence the reason
the flag is called -tls.

But we have a number of servers that for various dumb reasons want
to speak SMTP after a TLS negotation has taken place.  So we can't
call that -tls, because that's a different protocol.  So we came up
with -initialtls, because that was perhaps the most descriptive
name I could think of.

>And it slightly off-topic, but maybe of interest to people who find this
>page with a search: I didn't manage to receive POP mail from nmh with
>inc, so I used getmail. Here is my redacted getmailrc.
>
>  [retriever]
>  type = SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever
>  mailboxes = ("INBOX",)

It would be nice to know why inc didn't work, if it was a lack of capability
or some other problem.  If the issue is that they use IMAP and not POP,
then that's something we don't support yet.  But if your server supports
POP, hopefully we should be able to make use of it.