[Nmh-workers] Having configure Check for cc's -pedantic -ansi.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Having configure Check for cc's -pedantic -ansi.
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 13:00:34 +0100

Hi,

David spotted some compile warnings that I didn't.  I've since
overridden configure's CFLAGS to add `-pedantic -ansi', but I wonder if
m4/cppflags.m4 should attempt these and add them if they work?  The risk
is someone has a compiler that spots problems all of ours missed.
That's probably unlikely, and we'd like to know about it anyway?  Not
that they'd necessarily tell us without -Werror.

On a related theme, separate from Lyndon's useful builtbot, would there
be usefulness in list members being able to easily get
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/snapshot/nmh-master.tar.gz and
run all the way through to distcheck, chucking in a tools/showbuildenv,
with the output, good or bad, being emailed or POSTed somewhere.
Minimal effort by those buildman, giving them a script to run.  The
vogue is the abhorrent `curl $url | sh', but we could offer a one liner
slightly more sane.

If they wanted, a weekly or monthly cron job would keep us on our toes,
and we could make the explicit request in the lead up to a release.

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy